Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Boob Tube

Today marks the 8th day that I have been living without any type of cable or satellite television.  I don't even have one of those little converter boxes to get the local channels. 

Zip, Zero, Zilch

This decision has been a long time coming.  For what was paid out monthly to the "Company-That-Must-Not-Be-Named" I could afford to take one additional vacation each year.  There were only a small number of channels that were watched on a somewhat regular basis, and there were many evenings that the box wasn't even turned on. 

So the decision was made to quit it, and the promise was made to give it a go for a minimum of 6 months.  Which is really good for my willpower, because that will be right about the time football season starts back up, and I can say that I gave it good try.

What does one do when there is nothing to surf through on a Tuesday night?  Tons of stuff!  Work on my blog, train the terrier, play Scrabble or Boggle, read, study for the class I am taking, work on that quilt I owe my mother, learn to knit, or catch up on what's new on the inter webs. 

Have I missed it?  For the most part no, I do not.  I have a good subscription to Netflix and an instant queue that might be completed by the time the next milestone birthday rolls around, and I have a Kindle with more books on it than I can possibly read this year.  I think I miss television the most in the morning.  I'd watch the local news until it looped and loved to hear Mike and Mike bicker like two old women. 

The investment will probably be made into the little converter box - we do live in a prime area for hurricanes and it will be nice to see those bad boys working their way over - just in case.

It's only been a week, but I feel lighter and freer and more in tune with the things that are more important. 

No comments: